You should file your claim with your insurance carrier as soon as possible, even if you don’t have all the necessary information. The faster you do so, the sooner they can start assisting you. You will have the opportunity to update information. Here is what they typically look for:
- Photos of the damage, if applicable
- Your contact information
- The name and contact information of any other involved parties
- Policy information, if available
- The type of loss you are reporting (auto, home, etc.) Remember, in the event of auto damage, your policy does not include mechanical breakdowns.
- The date the incident occurred
- A description of what happened
- A description of any injuries
When you call to file your claim, an insurance claim customer service professional will document the details of the loss and may provide you with a claim number. Your claim will then be assigned to one of their claim professionals.